The olfactory system is functional at 12 weeks of gestation (Schal, Marlier, and Soussignan, 1998; Winberg and Porter, 1998). Research has demonstrated our preference for certain scents is a learned behavior and usually hardwired by age 8.
One of the reasons vanilla is universally accepted as a pleasant scent is because it is an odor compound found in a mother’s breast milk. Because olfactory perception is a learned behavior, different people groups will ascribe varying values to the same scent based upon their life experience.
One of the reasons smell is so important is because the limbic brain makes most of our decisions. The cognitive brain then provides rationale and justification or validation of the choice the primal limbic brain has decided. For early man, this was an important distinction because it could sometimes mean the difference between life or death. Scents also provide data to the limbic brain on the health of the subject. Smells provide guidance in making a decision for Yes or No based upon previous experiences. These decisions happen instantly, are usually unchallenged and do not always have a rational or logical foundation.
Being aware of your scent means you are able to manipulate it to produce the results you want.
Studies have shown certain essential oils and smells, especially flavanone-rich citrus improve neuronal functioning and promote neuronal protection and regeneration. This means enhancements to your memory and learning.
11 Situations nice smells can benefit are:
- High performing business development professionals;
- Mum’s needing to calm an upset or unwell child;
- Athletes and or anyone engaged in physical activity that would like to perform better;
- People who are interested in courting and or deepening the quality of a relationship;
- An arbiter responsible for de-escalating conflict, causing peace and creating mutually beneficial options between parties
- Health practitioners interested in facilitating greater wellness for their clients and patients;
- Protective services, security, and safety personnel interested in limiting violence or force as options and opening dialogue;
- Supporting communities to take resourceful actions from a physical group;
- Any potential for physical or romantic intimacy;
- Retailers enabling their patrons to purchase more goods;
- Real estate professionals in supporting clients to make the best purchase decisions;
It is not only a circumstance of being able to influence others with a scent. By ensuring you are conscious of the experience you would like to have, it is enhanced by leveraging appropriate smells. As an example, Ylang Ylang has long been known to boost the health of the human nervous system as well as protecting against depression and the effects of stress. There are hundreds of thousands of options as well as reasons for needing to use them.
While it is generally considered appropriate ‘smell good,’ it can be helpful to determine what scent is going to magnify your best qualities before settling on a scent. Most people go for a perfume or cologne.
Because of how they are mass-produced, perfumes are generally more synthetic and harbour toxins having the capacity of lowering the IQ of infants by 6-points, causing weight gain independent of what you eat or your activity, causing sperm damage, central nervous system disorders, kidney damage, respiratory failure GI tract irritation, dizziness, fatigue, skin irritation and disorders, and several other symptoms.
The chemicals you must completely avoid if you need to use cologne or perfume are
Acetone, Benzaldehyde, Benzyl acetate, Benzyl alcohol, Camphor, Diethyl phthalate, Ethanol, Ethyl acetate, Limonene, Linalool and Methylene chloride, Phthalates and endocrine disruptors and Styrene, which is a human carcinogen.
Fragrance manufacturers are only required not to use banned substances. They do not have to disclose all the chemicals used in their formulas. Many chemicals are not assessed or tested. Even if you are not directly affected, people in your environment, your co-workers, especially babies, and children can be seriously impacted and become ill. It is well-documented perfumes and colognes can be causal in Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
There are multiple natural solutions using essential oils and companies that have built their brand on providing healthy, sustainable options. This being the case, do not accept the notion that just because something is ‘natural’ it can not harm you. Any product having citrus, such as lemon, should never be placed directly on your skin when it will be exposed to the sun. While it is not toxic or harmful, it will discolor or stain your skin in such a way that it can take up to 6 months to fade.
When changing from using laundry detergents, air fresheners and other conventional products designed to be pleasant smelling, it can be fun to experiment with new combinations. I have a 70kg black Cane Corso who is the biggest sook and demands his shower with refreshing peppermint and a massage afterwards with lavender, marjoram and coconut oil. He gets cleaned with essential oils that are flea and tick resistant. This is a huge feat since Australia is infested with ticks, especially in the bush. He loves the taste of coconut oil and I get a dog that doesn’t smell so ‘doggy.’
- Use natural alternatives to chemicals you are used to using. They are only inconvenient if you have not created a habit of always leveraging the most healthy solution for you and your family.
- Educate yourself on the impact of chemicals that are in cleaning solvents, including hand soap, perfumes, laundry, and dish detergents. These tend to have horrible consequences to your health and our environment.
- In the same way you research the best place to live or the car you would like to drive, do even more research into what is going to be the healthiest option for your life. You can have fun with healthier options and create new opportunities.
- Using essential oils is one of the most effective ways to boost human performance psychologically and physiologically. It has been extensively used in antiquities and has only had applied western evidence-based medicine research since 1940.
- Share what you learn with those closest to you. This creates mastery for yourself and you have the benefit of knowing you are creating a healthier world by impacting those in your environment.
- The quality of your intimacy can be impacted by the kind of scent you use. If you have never used essential oils and are curious about how it would be to ten-fold increase the quality of your orgasms, start investigating essential oils.
- For more information about which combinations of essential oils can support your dating activities, contact me for a lively discussion in confidence.
- Olfaction, Taste, and Cognition, edited by Catherine Rouby, Benoist Schaal, Danièle Dubois, Rémi Gervais, A. Holley;
- The effects of flavanonerich citrus juice on cognitive function and cerebral blood flow: an acute, randomised, placebo-controlled crossover trial in healthy young adults – Lamport, D., Pal, D., Macready, A., Barbosa Boucas, S., Fletcher, J., Williams, C., Spencer, J. and Butler, L. (2016);
If dating and relationships are an area of your life that you'd like support in, feel free to contact me to inquire about my dating and matchmaking services.